I live in Arizona, but child lives in another state. Nothing has ever been filed in Court. Can I file in Arizona to get custody?

It depends. For Arizona to have jurisdiction over custody, it has to be the home state of the child. That means Arizona has to be the state where the child most recently resided for six consecutive months. If Arizona is not that state, then Arizona cannot make a custody order, and you will need to file in the state where your child has most recently resided for six consecutive months.  

Good People.
Great Results.

Our award-winning team of professionals deliver
the outcomes our clients need.

Don't Take Our Word For It,
See What Our Clients Have To Say.

Contact State 48 Law

We offer in-person, video, and phone consultations.

14500 N Northsight Blvd Ste 313, Scottsdale, AZ 85260

We’re conveniently located in North Scottsdale, just off the 101 and Raintree.

(602) 649-1325

Call us today to speak with one of our family law attorneys.

[email protected]

If you prefer to email, we’re always available. You can email us directly or fill out the contact form.